Pasta Bake with Free Range Streaky Bacon
This yummy pasta bake is ideal for a crowd of hungry kids or adults and is fantastic for lunch box leftovers!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
500g pack large pasta e.g. Rigatoni (I used Zitone #19)
¼ cup olive oil
1 large white onion medium dice
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
250g Prasuma Streaky Bacon roughly chopped
1 carrot peeled and finely diced
1 eggplant peeled and roughly chopped into dice
1 red pepper diced
1 tbsp capers (optional)
15 each Kalamata olives (optional)
1 tsp each oregano, rosemary and thyme
2 x 400g cans of chopped Italian tomatoes in thick sauce
1 cup shaved parmesan
A handful of chopped Italian parsley
Cracked pepper and sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In a large deep fry pan or heavy based pot over medium heat add ½ the olive oil. Add the onion and cook for 5 mins, now add the bacon and cook for a further 5-7 mins. Add the garlic, carrot, eggplant, red peppers and remaining olive oil and sauté for 8-10 mins until the eggplant becomes tender.
- To this add the oregano, rosemary and thyme and cook for 3 mins. Add the chopped tomatoes and allow the sauce to simmer gently for 10 mins or so [do not allow it to reduce too much] until the vegetables become just tender. Season well and set aside somewhere warm.
- Cook your pasta al dente to the packets instructions [usually 8 mins]. Drain the pasta and then drizzle liberally with olive oil to stop it from sticking.
- Grease a large 25-30cm baking dish with butter and spread ¼ of the sauce evenly over the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of pasta and then a light sprinkling of shaved parmesan, repeating this until the final layer. The final layer should end pasta then parmesan then sauce and then a final sprinkling of parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins.
- To serve sprinkle the top of the pasta bake with parsley. Serve alongside a fresh green salad and crusty garlic bread.