Jhol momos are dunked in a bowl of tomato based soup. The jhol (soupy chutney) is tangy, hot and a perfect accompaniment to momo.
What you require
- 1 pkt of Prasuma Original Chicken Momo
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 dried red chilli
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- Coriander, finely chopped
- a pinch of sichuan peppercorns
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt (or as per taste)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp (or juice from 1 lemon)
How to Make It
- Roast the tomatoes and garlic in the oven or on a grill for about 20-25 minutes.
- Then in a pan, toast the peanuts. Remove from heat and let it cool. In the same pan, toast the cumin seeds and sesame seeds together and then set them aside to cool.
- In the same pan, heat some oil and fry fenugreek seeds and sichuan pepper. Toss in the onions and saute them until they’re caramelized. Then add in the roasted tomatoes and garlic, roasted cumin and sesame seeds, green and red chillies and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the coriander to the mixture and stir. Let it cool down for about 5-10 minutes, and then using a blender, puree the entire thing to make a sauce. Add water and blend if you prefer a more soupy.
- Coarsely grind the peanuts to a powder and add to the soup.
- Pour the ‘jhol’ over hot momos and enjoy.